Friday, February 29, 2008

I already have the aviator sunglasses...

The other day, I thought of an interesting business opportunity for me here in Buenos Aires. I'm contemplating putting it up on craigslist just to see what happens. Hopefully I won't get arrested:

When people travel they like to take pictures of themselves. These pictures usually consist of them posing in the foreground with something noteworthy in the background. While many photos are taken this way, the final result can appear artificial and look-where-I've-been-ish. Enter Gringo Paparazzi. Gringo Paparazzi will follow you around and take pictures of you unawares so your trip is authentically documented. Your covert photographer is given a rough itinerary of your plans in advance, and told how, where, and when you want to be photographed. No more asking strangers if they can take your photo; it's already been taken. Although having a GP agent follow you around doesn't prevent you from taking your own pictures, it will provide you with a perspective otherwise lost—(that is, of course, if you're already under surveillance, in which case, you probably wouldn't see those photos anyway...)

In the end you are given a cd or jump drive of your photos.



After reading what I just wrote, I'm not sure for whose benefit it would serve: the narcissistic tourist or the aspiring clandestine operative. Either way, I'm curious to hear any comments or suggestions.

3 Comments:

Blogger heidi said...

Tim,
I love the idea. I love taking pictures so as a result I am usually never in them so I do the standard timer thing or if I have a video cam I flip it around and talk to the camera. A little dorky I know but if I don't take the pic who will. Now you just have to find a reliable person to do the job or were you thinking of doing this yourself? I am looking for a part time job after I retire and this sounds like something I might like to try and can get into. Who knows..If you do try it keep us up to date on how it works out. I think I will run this by some of my friends and do a little brain storming..Viel Glück

heidi

7:06 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I would definitely be curious to see what happens if you posted this service on craigs...Glad you're posting again.

8:39 PM  
Blogger This is borrowed time said...

Thanks guys! I have to confess that I have yet to go forward with the idea on CL, one reason being my digital camera at the moment (actually, uh, Dacia's) just isn't that spectacular. Kind of requirement, I thought, for any aspiring paparazzi.

Heidi: Vielen Dank! I was thinking about doing it myself at first and then ease into the whole global empire/ never-have-to-work-again thing, but since I haven't taken any steps beyond this post, please feel free to try it out :) Great to hear from you!

Kelly: After reading about some of your CL experiences, I was wondering if I would join the ranks of the Craigslist creepy. I guess it's all in the delivery...

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home